Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Seeing Myself

By now you know, my friends. You know that when things get tough I go invisible. You may not know that it's more than a matter of not posting. More than a matter of staying home too much. More than not reaching out to friends. I actually lose sight of myself.

To add to my general invisibility of late, I've been letting my air go gray. Gray-haired women are pretty invisible here in America, even if they don't intend to be.

When I told him about the hair, Bryan asked me to send a picture. Until yesterday I hadn't been brave enough. After I said no to my sister, I decided to celebrate by taking a picture to send to Bryan. Here it is.



It's not like I think I'm a vampire. Not even that I actually believe I can't be seen. But I can't tell you how surprised I was to see this photo. I look so present. Gray. Wrinkled and crinkled. But present.

I kept the photo open on my desktop yesterday and again today as I worked. Throughout the day, I'd forget it was there. Once in a while, I closed or moved windows, and it jumped out at me. Every time, I wondered who she was for a fraction of a second. In the flash before I recognized myself, I wanted to be her.

I'm gonna leave it open on the desktop for a while. Maybe I'll learn to see myself more clearly.

8 comments:

riversgrace said...

Ok, I am NOT being nice here. Jerri, you are a beautiful woman. I would say with the silver, stunning.

You're right, you are so present. It shows.

It's important to stay connected to those who can truly see you so that when you do lose sight of yourself, we can offer you a real reflection back. That's what we do for each other.

So great to SEE you again.

P.S. I don't believe that grey-haired women are invisible....to whom? To the hyper-fixated media outlet? That's not real. REAL people will see you wherever you go. Just sing your song and walk your walk.

For sure, it does give you full authority to say NO. :)

Carrie Wilson Link said...

I LOVE IT! I. LOVE. IT. Grey suits you, you look FANTASTIC! Start a trend!

love.

Amber said...

I think you are beautiful. Your eyes are so warm, just like I have come to know your soul to be. A perfect reflection.

I have missed you here. I don't like to think of you allowing yourself to hurt or disappear...We need your light!

:)

mamatulip said...

You look so alive in this picture. It's exactly how I've pictured you in my head since I've been reading your blog. Alive. :)

Go Mama said...

I wish you could see what I see in you. Without any visual at all, you are a most amazing, dynamic, (com)passionate, creative and vital force of energy.

Unfurl your wings, come out and play, J.

nothing but love to you too...

Jess said...

Gorgeous picture. I love the grey hair. It gives you a certain authority, to say No or anything else you want to say.

I agree with Prem that grey-haired women are not invisible at all. They rock. You are in a unique position to play with your hair, change it up as much as you want. Have fun!!

Michelle O'Neil said...

Beautiful Jerri.

You are beautiful.

Alijah Fitt said...

Stunning actually. I don't lie, never.