Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Back Again

Watched the movie "Waitress" yesterday. Loved it. From the opening scenes where she's baking pies to the end where she dances off into the sunset, I loved the whole darn thing. Sweet. Funny (in the way life is funny not the way sitcoms are supposed to be funny). Smart.

The final credit dedicated the movie to the memory of Adrienne Shelly, one of its stars. !!!???!!!

Google to the rescue: Adrienne Shelly wrote, directed, and starred in the movie. Even wrote and performed the adorable song at the end. She was murdered as she put the finishing touches on the final cut of the movie. Heartbreaking.

The thing that hooked me was the obvious love Keri Russell's character was baking into her pies, the way she put her soul into that simple task. According to several articles, Adrienne wrote the movie as a love letter to her daughter. She originally planned to star in it, but decided Keri was a better choice for the lead character. She (Adrienne) played an important but decidedly less central character. There's some generosity of spirit. Some passion for a project.

Adrienne Shelly died tragically. But first, she lived. She made this movie in the same way the lead character bakes pies: with intention. With passion. With a heart in the middle.

I've been so far out of the loop, for all I know, I may be the last person in North America to see "Waitress." But in case there are others, here's my advice: Rent it. Buy it. Share it.

and LIVE. Live full out. Live with joy.

10 comments:

Carrie Wilson Link said...

I will! Thanks for the recommendation! Sounds great!

hg said...

Welcome back, Jerri. So good to see you here.

You're not the last person. But, I'll take that recommendation and rent it.

Kim said...

Happy New Year Jerri!

I have been a fan of Adrienne Shelly's work for years and was shocked and saddened by her death....yet, I STILL haven't seen Waitress. Thanks for the reminder!

The Geezers said...

I liked Waitress very much.

If you're so inclined to see something while it's still playing in theaters, go see Juno.

Premise aside (teenage girl giving up child for adoption), the movie is incredibly warm and funny.

Amber said...

Oh yes! I LOVED that movie. I LOVE when she finally lets rip in the hospital room. HAHAHA!! Girl Power!!

I didn't know the writer was killed. Jeez what a bummer. :(

:)

Alijah Fitt said...

Nope, you are not the last, I have not seen it either and then again I never heard of Adrienne Shelly. Sounds fascinating though. Last movie I saw was "No Country for Old Men" intense, well done, dark. Maybe wait until next Summer (light time) to check it out, if you are inclined.

riversgrace said...

LOved the movie, too. Really love that you just saw it and love it.

Happy New Year, Jerri. Soooo glad you're back.

This is a circle and you have been missed. Now, all is right since you have taken your seat.

Oh, and, by the way, I see your creations the same way you see the pies.

Michelle O'Neil said...

I'm so far out of the loop, I hadn't even heard of the movie, let alone seen it!

: )

kario said...

Too squishy for Bubba - good thing he's going out of town next week so I can rent it for myself.

Thanks for the recommendation and I'm so glad you're back. Sending light and love your way.

Blair said...

I've been carrying the movie around in it's Netflix cover all Christmas - I'll be sure to watch it this week!
Hope you are having a wonderful New Year!