Monday, January 28, 2008

No, Again

This morning started with an e-mail from an editor who works with the British publisher of my most recent book. She asked me to be prepared to do a boatload of research for the UK edition of the book, and pronto.

Thing is, my contract was for the US edition only, and I've already done way, way more than I contracted for these folks. The only professional thing to do, the grown-up thing to do was say no. Or, rather, I'd be happy to do this work if you pay me for it.

I sweated this for two and a half hours without doing anything. I mean I physically sweated. Perspired enough to need another shower and fresh deodorant before going to the salon for my morning duties.

Then I talked about it with a friend who is head honcho of a publishing house. He totally agreed with my "yes, but you have to pay me" approach.

Finally, more than three hours after the whole thing started, I dashed off a reply.

My stomach has been in knots since I hit "send." To tell you the truth, I felt better in the bathroom at the Clinton event on Saturday than I do right now.

And that's not good.

7 comments:

mamatulip said...

I see so much of myself in this post. My knee-jerk reaction is to tell you not to sweat it, that you did the right thing. And you did, and you shouldn't sweat it. But then again...I should take my own advice sometimes. ;)

Go Mama said...

You go Jerri! I love how you are practicing and holding up your boundaries. This is big!

We learned a great lesson while working with a producer on a music pkg for a notoriously cheap and laborious studio. Sure, they can ASK for any thing they want, any kind of revision, any kind of reshoot, any kind of tweak, you name it, and SURE, we can make it happen for you if you really want it, but the REALITIES (read budget) of the situation will be adjusted along with the request.

Oh, I'm sorry, my contract is for the USA version only. I'd be delighted to come and work with you on your UK edition. Here's my rush rate. How soon do you need it then?

Hold your ground J. Don't act from fear. Act from a place of power.

You are surrounded by love and support....

Michelle O'Neil said...

http://creativeink.blogspot.com/2007/12/harlan-ellison-pay-writer.html

Carrie Wilson Link said...

Oh, you little rat with the pellet you! Pretend you are the rat that ALWAYS got rewarded and became bored with that gig. Good things SHOULD come to you. You should get the pellet.

Every.

Time.

Suzy said...

He's right you know. It is the way to go.

Easier said than done... I know that feeling.

Hope you are feeling better than the other night.

Love.

Suzy

Alijah Fitt said...

How much is the stressful workload worth to you? Of course you did the right thing, let go, let god.

Amber said...

Let us know how it goes! I know it will work for you. It was the right thing to do for yourself.

:)