Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Bits and Pieces

First, this. What happened for Patry Francis yesterday was simply amazing. When I went to bed last night, The Liar's Diary was #300 on Amazon, #1 in Mysteries and Thrillers. One of the organizers of yesterday's blog-in said it was a "powerful example of the mysteries of kindness and compassion."

Next: Remember the thousand geese on the pond? Well, they're gorgeous and picturesque and all that. They're also messy and noisy beyond belief. They honk all night long. They settle down a bit, something gets them started, and the whole flock squawks like someone's trying to make comforters out of them. I don't love the noise, but everything costs something, right?

Well, as the flock grew and got louder, I pretty much knew my neighbors weren't going to tolerate it forever. Last night, about 10:30, I noticed two lights bobbing around the edge of the pond. When they drew near my house, I stepped out on the deck and asked what was going on. Two neighbor men identified themselves and said they were using the lights to drive the geese away.

The pond was very quiet last night. I wonder where the flock slept. "Not in my back yard." Makes me sad. Well rested, but sad.

Finally, I'm taking Daddy to the doctor today. More accurately, Mom's taking him and I'm going along for moral support and to keep a clear head when we talk to the surgeon. Sounds like Daddy's going to need another operation. They've already tried to repair this hernia three times, but trouble is still bubbling down there. Please say a prayer for him this morning.

Yesterday, Mom made a rocky road cake. Cake is not on my menu right now. "Thanks for putting on the marshmallows, Mom," I said. She smiled, "Makes it easier to resist, doesn't it?"

As I nodded, Daddy walked past me. "She doesn't like 'em, either. They're there because I like 'em." Then he took my hand and twirled me in a quick two-step motion. "Ain't love grand?" he asked.

Yes, Daddy. Love is grand.

6 comments:

Amber said...

Oh my GOSH, your parents KILL me!
I'm sorry he is having to go through this. So hard. That stinks. :(

That is SO AMAZING about Patry. Look how powerful the bloggs are, too!! Think about THAT. Look about they can be used when we bond together.
(By the way, I missed my chance to join in on this, because I was distracted, I guess. :( But I am going to put her book on my side bar. Hope that helps a little. :) )

ox:)

Carrie Wilson Link said...

Your parents have the rarest of loves True. Prayers for you, Daddy, Mom and all involved!

Alijah Fitt said...

I love your parents.Prayers to all of you

Go Mama said...

Your parents are so sweet! Wishing you all well....

So, did you ever hear back from that UK editor?

Suzy said...

Is that Ms. Link with the new photo???? Ain't she something!

Prayers always for you and your family.

I hate marshmallows too...
Love is grand when the people are grand...just like your parents!

Love you.

Suzy

riversgrace said...

Beautiful souls, strung together, you three.