Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Putting Some Happy in my New Year

Good morning. And welcome to the first day of the New Year. Last night I realized that the darkness that has been surrounding me is not going away on its own. If I want light--and I do--I've got to step out into it.

So, here's a happy thought.

When Katie was here for Christmas, she lost the lovely platinum and diamond necklace her boyfriend gave her for Christmas. The last place she remembered seeing it was the bathroom counter. We conducted a thorough (and somewhat panicked search) before I mentioned that it might have fallen down the drain of the bathroom sink.

Her reaction was the-screech-heard-round-the-world. You all heard it, didn't you? About 1:30pm on December 27? She settled down a bit when I explained we had a very good chance of finding the necklace in the trap beneath the sink. We got a bucket and rags and set about taking off the trap.

As she held the flashlight, I explained what a trap is and how it works. When I got it off and dumped the contents into the bucket, out slipped her beautiful bauble. She was waaaaay beyond relieved.

After she stopped jumping around, I had Katie replace the trap herself. We tested for leaks. She got it right on the first try, I'm proud to say. It was a moment. I couldn't help remembering when I learned about traps and how they work. I was 40. She's not quite 21.

Katie's is SO damn prepared for the world. When she and her roommates lost power in one room of their apartment, she got a flashlight and went to the basement to find the breaker box. No breaker was tripped, so she went looking for a tripped GFCI. When she found out there were none in the entire apartment, she called the caretaker and told him a) they had problem and b) he needed to get some GFCIs installed pronto, as this was not safe.

When the heater in her car quit working, she drove to a car parts store, pulled out her owner's manual, and figured out which fuse had blown. She bought a new fuse, installed it, and went on her merry way.

She and her roommates pay for one outlet for their internet. Katie connected routers and cable to carry it to each of their rooms.

After the necklace was clean and safely back on her neck, I told her how proud I am of her for being so capable. Her response was, "Well, yeah. Who taught me all that, Mom?"

And there it is. A happy thought. One I'm going to hang onto all day long.

12 comments:

Nancy said...

A perfect start to the new year...a happy thought. Katie sounds awesome and I love that she give you the credit. Wishing you lots of happy thoughts for 2008!

The Geezers said...

Welcome to 2008, dearest sister. CAn't tell you how glad I am to see some words here.

If you ask me, Katie didn't fall far from the tree. She got her gumption from somewhere, and and I think we know where that is.

Best wishes for the new year.

Carrie Wilson Link said...

I've been thinking about you a lot these last couple of weeks, Jerri. I'm thinking you may be one of those ESP (extra sensitive people) that is super in tune to the vibrations of the planet. If that's true, wouldn't it make sense that you've felt the darkness of the darkest time of year for our part of the world? Literally? And now, as the days grow longer, the light comes out more each day and we flip the calendar to a new beginning, you are feeling all that too?

To everything there is a season. Turn. Turn. Turn.

When you turn around you will see how many of us are right behind you, ready to embrace you in your own light, and that of ours.

Love,
Super Deep and Heavy

Go Mama said...

So happy to see a post today. Hang on to whatever slivers of light and gratitude you have and may it spark a bonfire of light. You are that as well.

Katie sounds like a peach. You done good there.

Happy New Year J. May it bring you good things as you shake off the darkness and step into the light....

Deb Shucka said...

May you find the eyes to see your own shining and vivid light in this new year. May the year be full of happy thoughts and happy heartbeats.

The darkness is an active force that strives to keep us trapped. Light is an active force that seeks to free us. We have to choose, but we don't have to do it alone.

Sending love and light and bright hugs your way.

mamatulip said...

I'm going to hang on to it too. What a great thought for you to tuck away for when those dark moments creep up.

Anonymous said...

"There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it." -Edith Wharton.

You spread light from both angles very well. And yes, sometimes, you have to turn to the mirror to see the reflection of the light you are!

-M

riversgrace said...

Oh, thank god! I feel like I can sigh an out breath now, now that you've returned. Your presence was missed, J.

Isn't it true that it comes down to a choice about which image of yourself that you would like to align with?

Soooooo happy that you have chosen to see your own light. Keep looking in that direction because it will light your steps in the direction that you truly want to go. Something I am realizing, too. Hard to fall, possible to return.

And it's ok to ask for a hand when you need it.

Happy, happy New Year to you!

hg said...

Happy New Year to you, Jerri!

You rock. It's an amazing moment, that recognition we get choose which way to see ourselves. The first gray light of dawn.

Hope this year carries you step by step back into the brightness of your own sun.

love to you

Alijah Fitt said...

If you never experienced the dark, there would be no concept of light, I think. Experiencing darkness is necessary to learn to love the light, I think thats what I am saying. Wow, so smart that Katie. Did you really think for a minute she didn't know who taught her to be so clever? Come on, you are an awesome Mom! and person, and writer and everything you do you do well. Happy New Year full of love and lightness!

Michelle O'Neil said...

Awesome Jerri. You daughter is a lucky young woman to have you for a mom.

Happy New Year!

kario said...

Well deserved, my dear. Bravo to you both.