Saturday, February 16, 2008

Hearts Afire


My daughter sent me a valentine.

My daughter. Sent me. A valentine.

Years ago, when we went through the Home Studies, we were asked why we wanted children. Even then, long before Rafiki lifted Simba to the skies, before Elton wrote the song, before I fully understood what it meant, I wanted to be part of the Circle of Life.

I wanted to nurture an infant, see the world through the eyes of a toddler, and learn to read with a young child. God help me, I even wanted to ride the roller coaster of adolescence. I imagined myself in middle age with young adults coming home for holidays, bringing the ones they loved. I stepped into the comfy shoes of an old lady baking cookies with grandchildren. I didn't just want babies, I wanted to share my life with the people those babies would become.

The reality is much more complicated than I realized. The challenges greater, the dark moments scarier. But the rewards. Ah...the rewards are sweet.

My daughter sent me a valentine.

10 comments:

Nancy said...

You inspire me to hold on Jerri. You couldn't have descirbed more accuratly my fantasy of family and I still hold on to the possibility of

" middle age with young adults coming home for holidays, bringing the ones they loved. I stepped into the comfy shoes of an old lady baking cookies with grandchildren. I didn't just want babies, I wanted to share my life with the people those babies would become."

but I'm deeply entrenched in adolescence with my sons and my vision is a teensy bit clouded from here.

Carrie Wilson Link said...

Well said, my friend, and well earned! That. Valentine.

Suzy said...

And YOU are the reward to your children..

Love you.

Suzy

Alijah Fitt said...

of course she did!

mamatulip said...

They are so sweet, aren't they?

Go Mama said...

she's a keeper!

Deb Shucka said...

So very thrilled for you!!!!! And for the heart that wanted to be mom to children and the people they would become.

Anonymous said...

Jerri, this is one of the loveliest pieces on motherhood I've ever read. And I cracked up at the mention of Elton. You are a master at making the serious fun.

Sweet indeed! xo tg

kario said...

You are right. The rewards are so sweet. Bless you for recognizing and holding on to that. You are absolutely reaping what you've sown, you know, my dear.

Love you.

riversgrace said...

Speaks volumes all the way around. Family is what you're all about, in the best kind of way.