Sunday, February 03, 2008

Credit?

Anyone out there remember the seagulls in Finding Nemo? The ones who squawked "Mine. Mine. Mine." They still make me laugh.

Most of you know that the books I write are done as "work for hire." Among other things, this means the text becomes the property of the publisher and they hold the copyright to it. The author's name may or may not be on the cover (at the publisher's discretion), but most include a credits page, listing the folks whose work brought the book into being.

Proofs for my latest book arrived from England on Friday.

The book's credits do not include me, the writer of it. The publisher for the packaging company that commissioned me? Yes. The Production person? Yes. Hell, even the person who created the index is listed. But neither my name nor the name of the man who designed the book and chased down the (literally) 1001 photographs is included. (Although I think he owns the company that's credited for "Design and editorial.")

The package that brought the proofs also contained a really nice letter from the project editor. She mentioned they were "very pleased" with the book and that much of its success is due to my "considerable writing skills."

Isn't that nice? But how about including my damn name so I can use the book in my portfolio?

Strange. I'm feeling hungry for fish. Maybe salmon for dinner.


Monday, 5:58 am. Edited to add:

Just received confirmation that my name now appears on the cover. It was not on the only mock-up I'd seen, but it's there now.

I'm still amazed at how gull-ish I felt about the whole thing. Gotta go pick the sand out of my gullet....errrr....brush my teeth...and get on with my day now.




.

11 comments:

mamatulip said...

Is this a situation where you can ask for credit? To not include or credit you is ridiculous.

Go Mama said...

F'in business machine. Happens every day in the music biz! Awards have been given to "owners/publishers" of works for hire when they never actually wrote one note!

Sounds like it's time to fish in a different pond!

Please finish your NTKoG profiles, then weave them into a tale. I promise you, it will be worth the "risk!"

kario said...

I am so fired up for you! What an absolute travesty. I can't imagine working so hard on something and then not being given the credit you're due.

I suppose that doesn't make me a very good Buddhist, does it? Okay, deep breath.

Sending love and light your way. Sending wishes that you receive your due somehow, sometime, some way.

Jerri said...

Thanks for your outrage of my behalf, Kario. And for your kind comments, too, MamaT and GoMama.

But the thing I was interested in when I wrote this was how like those seagulls I am. Before this happened, if you'd asked me, I wouldn't have thought I cared much about credit. But now, here I am, my little beak open and my wings flapping as I shriek "Mine. Mine." along with the rest of the flock.

Strange, the things you learn about yourself. And yes, I did ask if anything can be done. I'll keep you posted with the answer.

Carrie Wilson Link said...

Wow. What an opportunity to learn humility? Damned if I know, I would be PISSED!

Michelle O'Neil said...

Don't take a piss without getting credit for it!

Go Mama said...

Get the gull guilt out of your gullet, girl!
Stand tall and own your work.
Nothing to be ashamed about there!
Glad you got your credit.

Now, about those NTKoGs....I just miss em is all.

Deb Shucka said...

I was so mad for you I couldn't even write. It's a damn good thing they didn't leave you out.

I'm interested in how birdish your life is right now. Those poor besieged geese and now the gulls inhabiting your innards.

No matter what, it's so wonderful to come here and find you and your amazing writing. Much love to you.

Jess said...

Yeah, that was BS, I'm so glad you got that taken care of. Unacceptable. Your "considerable writing skills" are what made that book, not just some small contribution to it.

Yes, own your work and lose the guilt.

Amber said...

LOL! Don't feel bad. I would have felt the same way. But happy it got fixed for your good.

:)

hg said...

Damn right your name should be on the cover. Their ideas ain't worth a thing without someone to write them.

Ditto Michelle, don't take a piss without getting credit for it.

And ditto whoever said finish those NTKoG profiles. You have a great tale weaving itself there.