Monday, February 05, 2007

Bright Idea

Top three reasons I haven't written a word on the novel since the last day of NaNoWriMo:

3. Christmas derailed me.
2. I've got to paying books to write before the end of March.
1. Lost the thread.

Okay, okay. You're right. None of these are reasons. They're excuses. But losing the thread did present a big problem. I've spent hours, HOURS, people, thinking about Fred and trying to figure out why he slid into alcoholism, the very thing he meant to rescue Ruth from.

This morning, lying in bed mulling over my day and its various challenges, the answer popped into my head. It's a bit of my own story I've meant to post but never quite gotten the nerve to write. That part would be Ruth's of course, but Fred's emotional response could be the needle that untangles the knot.

WoooHooo!!

I hereby promise myself to work on the novel for at least one hour today. No matter who or what needs me. Without fail. Can't wait.

Move over ceramic-tile-book—I've got me a novel to write!

8 comments:

Amber said...

Go, Jerri, Go!

...Now I need to figure out why I haven't started my own story.

:)

Anonymous said...

Have to admit, I've let mine sit idle for awhile, too. Good for you, though, jumping back in! I'm joining Am, in cheering you on - Go, Jerri, go! Woo-hoo!

The Geezers said...

Can't wait to see a draft of your solution.

Interesting how creative problems have a way of resolving themselves if you do nothing but listen.

riversgrace said...

That's great. I bet when you start writing more and more will be revealed, showing that it was there all along, nesting. And, hey, the tile book might be easier to write afterwards, too.

Michelle O'Neil said...

Write, write, write Jerri! Good for you!

Carrie Wilson Link said...

That's the spirit!!!

love.

Anonymous said...

Go! I write an awful lot, but not what I really intend to be writing, not my real project. Maybe now I'll swear to work on that for an hour. Yeah, I will. :)

Blair said...

Just do it! Love the spirit!
So...did you write today?
Please send me some of that gusto my way...I'm needing it, badly.