Sunday, September 13, 2009

Centered

Slept in the center of the bed last night, leaving space for all possibilities.

Yesterday, I watched this video posted on Michelle O'Neil's blog. I'd never heard of Bruddah Iz but immediately loved his voice and his music. Also immediately, I felt tremendous compassion for a man who seemed trapped inside his 700-lb. body. In the video, he smiles while floating in the ocean, a smile that reflects the utter peace of weightlessness. At least, that's what I saw.

This spring, before Molly and I hit the trail, my weight had gotten completely out of control. One of the things that pushed me onto the saddle was recognizing how hard it was to stand from a seated position. On a sofa or low chair, I found myself sort of rocking back and forth to gain enough momentum to stand up. It horrified me.

After the Iz video, a thought crystalized. I scurried to the red leather chair by the windows to the pond, sat down, and bounced back up.

Yes! Just like its arrival, the departure of the rocking was so gradual I hadn't noticed. I sat down and stood up several times, just to make sure.

No rocking. None. Just a strong, capable body moving from one position to the next.

It took more than wishing on a star, but today I woke to find that particular trouble far behind me, another of Molly's great gifts this summer. I am so grateful.

7 comments:

Michelle O'Neil said...

You and Molly are a beautiful couple. Your bike stories have been so amazing!

Deb Shucka said...

I'm so very happy for you. And I share your gratitude.

Amber said...

Wonderful! :)

:)

luckyzmom said...

Molly needs a medal.

Go Mama said...

"Slept in the center of the bed last night, leaving space for all possibilities."

There ya go!!

George said...

Frances Willard's bicycle was named Gladys...my bike's name is Old Buddy.

(My word verification code is "franses" by the way.

mamatulip said...

Slept in the center of the bed last night, leaving space for all possibilities.

Brilliant. Look at you go, Jerri!