Thursday, October 23, 2008

Home Again


Listened to Away by Amy Bloom as I drove home yesterday. It's an incredible tale told incredibly well. I'm looking forward to the drive to Arkansas tomorrow so I can hear the end.

This is now the second book I've listened to that I simply must also read. Not for the story, of course, I've heard that. But to roll around in her language and see how she put those marvelous sentences together. Her voice is so strong, so distinct that I want to see it on the page. Odd, but to properly appreciate a writer's voice, I've got to see rather than hear it.

Could be I read more than I listen. Wow. That's something to think about, isn't it?

3 comments:

Carrie Wilson Link said...

I just think you're a visual learner, that's why the colors of the quilt had to be turned "up."

hg said...

Yep, I'm with carrie. Your a visual-type girl. I get way more from listening to books than reading them and I have the exact opposite reaction. I slog my way through "reading" a great book and I think, wow@ I'd love to hear this read so I could really take it in.

My recomendation - When you do read it, try listening and reading along. Great way to hear the rhythm of the writing - key to voice - and to get the visual stimulation!

Alijah Fitt said...

it is difficult for me to listen to a book too, its the voices in my head which compete for my attention that derail me every time. I love paper books, I fear they may become a thing of the past with electronic devices and the limitations of natural resources. Could you imagine a world without paper books?