Friday, May 11, 2007

What I've Been Up To



The book right before (and I do mean right before) The Book That Would Not Die is called Designing with Tile. I created the shelf unit in this picture for that book. Yes, indeedy. I spent months dreaming up inventive ways to use tile and then weeks and weeks conveying my ideas to a series of editors and then more time describing my methods to the tile-book buying public. This is one of the results.

Just as there are hundreds of ways to kneel and kiss the ground, there must be hundreds of ways to make a living with words. Writing D-I-Y books has been an interesting career and one that's been very good to me, but now even my dreams are telling me I need to explore other ideas.

Last night I dreamed that I was in Telluride in a lovely hotel room with my folks (who were their ages now) and my children (who looked like they did at about 10 and 5). I was supposed to be flying to Phoenix for a meeting about the DIY book I was writing, but my folks were intent on keeping me from that meeting. They absolutely would not get their stuff together or get in the car. I yelled and stormed, but it didn't do any good at all. In the dream, I could feel the physical manifestations of my fear of losing the writing contract for the book. I was very, very frustrated.

And then Mom and Dad spirited me off to a mountainside, where I met a series of people in gorgeous settings. After talking with these people, I began to understand that I was meant to miss the plane, meant to be introduced to new possibilities. Some of the things they showed me were absolutely beautiful and they kept telling me I could use them to make a living. I bought a couple pieces of stunning handmade jewelry for my sister and then went off into the woods alone to contemplate what to do.

I don't know what any of this means. I do know that I want to add new revenue streams to my world, and I am hereby announcing this intention to the Universe.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them.

10 comments:

The Geezers said...

It's been obvious for a long time—to me at least— that DIY writing was just a step along the way.

You're going to be every bit as successful in this new phase as you have been in the last. Go get 'em, sis.

Anonymous said...

The shelf is so beautiful! Tiles can be so unique and pretty. What a great idea for a book. We love anything that has to do with DIY. I am sure your next inspiration will come, there are some clues in that dream...Just believe and trust instincts. Sending many blessings your way.

riversgrace said...

My sister (who is creative like you) wants to go to France (or Italy) to browse flea markets for ideas. Chandeliers? Lamps? Religious icon jewelry? Vintage...something. You two would get along famously.

Want to go? I do!

The only part of this post that doesn't belong is the part about not knowing what it means. I think you DO know, deeply, what it means.

Exploration. Laughter. Soul. Abundance. Meaning. Just around the bend...

Jess said...

I love the way you are paying attention to what's happening, being so open to it.

I can't wait to explore these questions with you next month. So soon!!

Michelle O'Neil said...

Love the tile unit you came up with. Just gorgeous.

Wonder what will unfold next?

Sit back and feel the deliciousness of the anticipation!

Deb Shucka said...

I'm so excited to see how the Universe answers your call. I'm here by your side for the whole ride. I anticipate that the hard part will be choosing from a huge menu of options for your amazing gifts.

Love!

Carrie Wilson Link said...

Take your request of the Universe and multiply it 10 fold, that is what is about to be unveiled!

Monica said...

Dear Jerri, it's right in front of you. You are so ready. I wish I could say, "here it is." But I'm also glad I can't. Because it's all coming directly from you. You are asking for it, and you'll see the path very soon. I know it. Much love.

Blair said...

The universe is there to give us what we need and want. You put it out there and who knows what will show up for you??!!!
Congratulations on finishing the book. It must feel great.

Suzy said...

I think you know what you want...
and everyone is right. It's coming my friend and in spades.