Monday, May 28, 2007

More Fishing

A young man is fishing on the pond this morning. He's a blur of white t-shirt and baggy jeans, constant motion. Cast and reel, cast and reel. Every other cast or so, he reels in a small fish, which he unhooks and throws back.

He's tall and thin and has facial hair that's longer than stubble but not quite a beard. The hair on his head is the same length as the hair on his face except for a tuft at the center, the human version of a cockatiel's crest. His expression has not changed in the 20 minutes I've been watching him: not when he caught fish, not when he inexplicably turned and kicked the holy heck out of his child-sized trick bicycle, not when his reel sailed into the pond mid-cast.

A parade of fishermen has materialized over this holiday weekend: a young father who paid more attention to his tackle than to his daughter toddling between the banks of two ponds, middle-aged men puttering with high-tech fishing gear, a grandfather and his adolescent grandson with decidedly low-tech poles. They've arrived with lawn chairs and coolers and tackle boxes, individually and in small groups. Some bring music. They all bring liquid refreshment.

Not one of them has caught a fish worth the time it would take to fillet it, probably not a collective mouthful over the entire weekend. I don't think it's fish they're after. I think the fish are just an excuse to spend a little time watching the reflections on the pond.

I have no excuse, only a reason: It brings me joy.

6 comments:

The Geezers said...

Amazing couple of posts, sis. To me, it sounds like the voice has returned.

The Green Tara dream is enough to make the hair stand up. The Tara symbols are extremely old Tibetan Buddist icons, said to derive from much older pre-vedic Hindu mythology. In all colors, they are manifestations of the goddess.

Green Tara is said to be the mother of all buddhas.

That's going to be one hell of a quilt.

Michelle O'Neil said...

We followed the Susquehanna River for about 150 miles on a recent road trip through NY state, and every so often I'd glimpse a fisherman, in hip boots, standing in the water.

Each time it felt like I'd witnessed something very personal.

They were communing with Source.

Somehow it made me feel safer, and happy. : )

Magicaldamselfly said...

Jerri~
Just wanted to say good morning and to say I would love to sit and watch these people on the lake. Sounds like an enjoyable way to pass an afternoon.
I've been away for some time now as I had to go to Texas to look after my daughter and her children while she had some surgery done so now I'm back. Instead of spending my day watching fishing folk I am going to go back and enjoy your past posts.
Have a fairy magic day,
Sheila

kario said...

What a terrific post! Fishing is a very meditative thing for many people, I think. You've captured it perfectly with your words. You've also made me salivate with envy - I want to come spend some time looking at that pond!

Deb Shucka said...

What an incredible thing that you can look out and see this pond. Your observations about the fisher people brought to mind the NTKOG series, and made me really happy to read. I love fishing, too, without the pole, the bait or any of the other gear.

I'll be traveling out with Kario - always drawn by water.

Love!

Anonymous said...

Ha ha! I LOVE that I am finally seeing your blog title in a post. You're such an ace, Jerri. I love your writing. The cockatiel's crest! Yes! xo t