Sunday, January 28, 2007

Corn


What is it about corn? Somehow I can't get enough of it. Some Rubenesque types hanker for brownies or hot fudge. Not me. Those things are okay, but the things I long for when I'm hungry, the food items I can't turn away from all include corn. Give me tortillas, Fritos, cornbread, corn nuts, popcorn or Doritos and I'm happy. Throw in a little cheese somewhere and I'm ecstatic.

Scalloped corn is a delicacy I dare not even taste. Corn pudding? I'm totally there. Make a bowl of corn/bean/avocado salad and I'll eat til my cheeks puff like a squirrel storing acorns. Roasted corn on the cob is my favorite indulgence at any farmer's market sophisticated enough to feature a roaster.

What am I feeding with all this corn? It clearly isn't pure physical hunger because physical hunger ends when you've consumed a moderate amount of food. My hunger for corn doesn't diminish no matter how much of it I eat. One chip leads to 20 and at the end, only logic stops me, not satisfaction.

Years and years ago, a leader at a Weight Watcher's meeting asked, "If what you need is a hug and what you reach for is a chocolate chip cookie, how many cookies will it take?"

Make that nachos and you've got yourself a damn good question.

2 comments:

The Geezers said...

For me, it's nuts. Cashews, peanuts, almonds....

Put some chocolate over them, and I'm doomed, doomed, I say.

Not making a lot of headway on my 33 pounds myself. Damned that midlife metabolism shift.

Magicaldamselfly said...

Jerri~
I'd join you for those nacho's they look ever so yummy. But just in case it's not corn you need...
~*~Jerri~*~ Here is a hug!

The answer is this....Infinity
because until you get that hug you'll keep eating those cookies.

Very thought provoking question though.

(((((Jerri)))))

xoxoxo,
Sheila