Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Stopping


Today is Ringo Starr's 70th birthday. Seriously. RINGO frickn' STARR turns 70. Today.

I was 10 years old when Ed Sullivan me to introduced the Beatles. Sure, I knew the lads from Liverpool were adults and I was a child that Sunday night. But somehow I'm shocked to discover Ringo is closer to my father's age (79) than to my own (56).


Last night I took part in an open forum on Laura Munson's blog. Laura, the author of This Is Not the Story You Think It Is, led a discussion of "stopping." As in stopping to notice, stopping to celebrate the beauty around us. As in stopping to buy lemonade from a child's stand.

The conversation included talk of surrender. It evolved to a discussion of saying yes to the Universe. Now that I've had time to think about it all, I don't think we drifted from the topic.

Stopping is surrender. Surrender is saying yes to the Universe. Something inside us--that spark of God that connects us all--wants us to notice the glorious gifts we're given. Every single day. Jack Gilbert wrote, "The treasures hidden inside you are hoping you will say yes."


It feels like a few years ago that Ringo Starr was a skinny, mop-haired boy launching a musical revolution. Today, he's 70. And still on stage. Still saying yes to the gifts he was given. He still can because he still does.

Ringo has asked that everyone stop at noon today (each in his own time zone) and wish the world "Peace and Love."

Please say yes to that.

7 comments:

Colleen said...

I say YES! too Jerri, I've been reading your Blog ever since I came across your review of Laura Munson's book,about a week ago. You sold me on it completely. I've just finsihed reading it. It is wonderful! Now I am wondering where I can find your books. Please point me in the right direction. Thank You! I LOVE your Blog posts. So glad I found them. Warm Regards, Colleen

Deb Shucka said...

It's 12:06 as I write this. Peace and love! Yes! Yes! Yes!

I think 70 is the new 30. At least I hope it is. :-)

fullsoulahead.com said...

I really liked Munson's book and thank you for the recommendation. Lots to chew on there. It's a book you could talk about for hours and hours.

Didn't know she had a blog. Heading over!

xo

Amber said...

Ringo was always the bad-ass Beatle. He still looks great, too.

:)

Jerri said...

Hello and welcome, Colleen! I'm so happy to have you along on this ride.

I've written 22 books on home improvement and decorating. My books are still available on Amazon, and some are available in Home Depot and Lowe's. A few may still be in Barnes & Noble, but most are too old (at least 5 years) to be on the shelves now.

After 14 years of writing how-to books, I'm working on my first "real" book. Wish me luck.

Colleen said...

Hello Jerri, Thank you for the welcome & for the info on your books. I do hope you will post info when your new book is published. I do wish you all the BEST on it. Judging by your posts here it is sure to be a good one. Looking forward to it. Regards!

luckyzmom said...

YES!!