Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Open Sesame

Managing daily tasks on the computer and Internet requires user names and passwords and secret phrases. Transferring money from one account to another--within the same bank--means I have to remember a user name and three passwords. Getting online to work requires two. Paying my utility bills requires three more. Secret words and phrases fill my brain, and accessing them at the right moment gets more and more complicated.

I've been waking in the night again. Words circle me in the dark, phrases begging to be written down. I want to tell these stories. I want to be a disciplined person who writes 500 words every day, no matter what. I want to step forward, believing the path will appear. I want to plug into the current that flows through me when I write from my heart.

Part of what holds me back is the idea that I have to find a magical combination of words that will open all doors. Anne Lamott believes in "shitty first drafts."

Maybe that's the password.

5 comments:

fullsoulahead.com said...

Love. And writing.

Deb Shucka said...

So much more interesting than "Open Sesame" and guaranteed to bring a smile. What could be better. Write, dear friend, write.

Carrie Wilson Link said...

I love Anne Lamott almost as much as I love you.

Amber said...

I hope so, because thats what I've been working on. LOL

:)

luckyzmom said...

I truly believe you possess the combination.