Monday, December 15, 2008

Complexities


Via email and one (anonymous) comment, several people asked why I put up a tree if I "purely hate" doing it.

Simple: I love having the tree more than I hate putting it up. Every year, I get over the funk of assembling it alone and fall under the spell of its twinkling lights and sparkling glass. I blow up an airbed and sleep in the living room beside it most nights it's up. (Not til the second night, though. I'm usually in full funk on the first.)

To my very bones, I believe in magic and miracles and happy endings. A Christmas tree is a symbol of one miracle that sparked millions more. I appreciate the reminder.

6 comments:

Carrie Wilson Link said...

Makes sense to me!

luckyzmom said...

I love the part where I get to put the decorations on. This year I put only the nostalgic ones on and took a few pictures before putting on the coordinating decorations. Okay, my thoughts are going in too many sad places right now. I need to think about miracles instead.

kario said...

What a perfect explanation!

I love the idea of you sleeping underneath the twinkling lights - the fruits of your labor.

But don't get me started on dismantling the tree....

Amber said...

Me too.

:)

Go Mama said...

Perhaps the tree can become new and fully yours, decorated not with memories and ornaments from the past, but with a completely fresh look...such as bedecked with your fab-tastic repurposed art pieces and a single color of light strands. Then the tree becomes a pure reflection of your own creativity and beauty.

Transformation. That's the magic and miracle.

Deb Shucka said...

I'll bet your tree is amazing! I love that you sleep next to it. I love your belief in magic and miracles. I believe in you.