Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Not That Kind of Girl, Part 7

Sheila rents a storage space her husband doesn’t know about. Its shelves are laden with fluffy towels and Egyptian-cotton sheets and goose-down pillows. Custom-made furniture and lovely vintage pieces are stacked in the corners. Gorgeous luggage stuffed with boots and shoes and silk lingerie are wedged into open spaces.

Sheila hasn’t paid retail for a single thing in there. She’s an excellent shopper.

When the space is filled, she plans to divorce her rich and arrogant husband. Meanwhile, she goes to Mexico twice a year on a girl's trip. At the beginning of each trip, the women select a fellow tourist and compete to be the first to bed him. There's a prize and everything.

Sheila’s very skilled at sleight-of-hand. It comes in handy with seduction as well as with hiding a few extra expenses in the household budget.

8 comments:

riversgrace said...

Hmmm, can't wait for the rest!

Suzy said...

Sheila, shopping, seduction, slight of hand. Great stage you just set.
Now let's hear the rest.....

Jerri said...

I'm not sure there is a "rest," guys.

At the moment, I'm imagining that each chapter of my book leads with a snapshot of yet another girl I am not.

This is someone I knew years ago, someone I considered a good friend until she went off this deep end. She doesn't play any huge part in my story, really, although she was certainly around the edges while I reclaimed myself after the divorce. And she helped me learn to love gardening.

Alijah Fitt said...

Darn because I am too slow to understand. Does she set him up to have affairs so she could get him on adultry? Am I with you? I rarely get jokes either, don't worry, its not your writing, it's me. I like the snapshot lead ins.

kario said...

You are a master! I am so sucked in right now and I love the continued examples of who you are not.

Anonymous said...

Yep, I love the way you are illustrating all the ways you are not that kind of girl. So many great characters.

But of course I alsoh look forward to more about what kind of girl you ARE. Knowing how cool that girl is.

Go Mama said...

...but may I offer that perhaps there are pieces of each "Not That Kind of Girl" that also live in you?

Just a bit?

But damn, Sheila's juicy...can she fit in somewhere?

Monica said...

Whoa, this is an interesting person, too. I want to hear more about her. She's a perfect "character".

Hadn't heard of filling up a storage space with that intent. Love it. Glad it's not me.