Sunday, March 11, 2007

Music, Heard and Unheard

My daughter sleeps in her bedroom. I have an hour or so before the demands of the day begin. I pour coffee into my red "Love" mug and contemplate how to invest this precious time. Shall I repot my new Buddha Hand Citron? Make a piece of art that's been richoceting in my head? Write?

Riches. My life is filled with riches.

My sister and nephew and I went to see a house yesterday, one we might buy for the boys to rehab. People lived in this house until September last year. It was beyond horrible. Entire walls consumed by mold. Ceilings falling in. Flooring worn away down to the floor joists. We all agreed that the boys would have to wear heavy-duty respirators to do the demolition. We felt the need of them, just walking around in there.

People live in these conditions. Some are happy to have the shelter, such as it is.

I've been skeptical about this venture. But what better choice could our sons make than to create decent, affordable housing for those who have none. I'm in.




Watch the dust grains moving
In the light near the window.

Their dance is our dance.

We rarely hear the inward music,
But we’re all dancing to it nevertheless.

Rumi

15 comments:

riversgrace said...

yes, your life is so rich and full. So creative. Lots of love and friendship. And home, so strong.

Carrie Wilson Link said...

Ditto Prema. Really happy you're using the red "love" mug! TELL me you've got really good coffee in there, please!

kario said...

I love those times when we are reminded so starkly of how grateful we ought to be for what we have. I love the people like you who are open to being grateful. Such awesome lessons you're teaching your kids.

Carrie Wilson Link said...

BTW, I want a list of all the good movies you and your daughter watch!

Kim said...

What a wonderful moment. And I love my red "love" mug too!

Anonymous said...

Love the Rumi ... love the idea that we're all dancing to something we're only dimly aware of, at best. Dust grains -- stars. Who knows? God this life is a mystery. This life is RICH! Thank you for this reminder. xo

Deb Shucka said...

I love how you've tied all of these things together into a beautiful song of gratitude and joy. I love the mug, too. It helps me get back to that room we all shared in Carrie's beautiful home and to the magic that happened there. Hope you're having a ball this week.

Amber said...

It is a wonderful thing to do. A great thing!

I am happy your life is so good. You should only have a happy life, J. You are a good person.

:)

Kim G. said...

The times of blessing are the sweetness that help us through the storms. Enjoy! (And I read your last post - how wonderful to have your daughter home for a visit! I took mine to see Dreamgirls yesterday - a must see if you haven't already!)

Suzy said...

Tell me you have a stiff drink in that mug!!!
The house for the boys sounds very real and very good. A great way to start.

riversgrace said...

Ok, where does one get the red love mug? Gotta have it.

Go Mama said...

Thank you for this Jerri. I feel your abundance.

holly said...

beautiful snapshot!

shhhh (finger to mouth) - don't teell: i usually drink TEA in my red love mug!

Jess said...

I love the Rumi and I love the way you remind us how much we have to be grateful for! Thank you!

And, I love my red love mug. And I'm not afraid to say I drink tea out of mine. Really good strong black tea.

Monica said...

Dear Jerri,

An incredible task, recreating that house. An incredible life as well. You are blessed because YOU are a blessing and all deserving.