Monday, January 10, 2011

A Small Miracle


Teagan stayed with me for a few hours today. It's snowing, so I swapped my Paula for Evan's Jeep when I picked T up. Then when Evan got off work, I picked him up and drove the two of them home.

As we crept through the snow, Evan mentioned that Kristin's car doesn't drive well in the snow. He also said it breaks down a lot and is kind of small for T's car seat.

And then...IT happened. He said, "I feel so lucky to have the Jeep."

Evan is 28 years, 7 months, and 11 days old. I have never heard him say he's lucky about anything. Ever. I couldn't count the times I've heard him moan and groan and even yell about how everything bad happens to him, how his life is so hard and so unfair, but I've never heard him call himself lucky.

I laughed out loud. When he looked at me funny, I said, "I've never heard you say that before." He sat quietly for a moment and then almost whispered, "I'm lucky about a lot of things, Mom. I just don't admit it to you."

You'd be so proud of me. Not a single tear spilled until I was back in my own car on my way home.

Evan feels lucky.

I feel blessed. So very, very blessed.

5 comments:

fullsoulahead.com said...

: )

Love.

kario said...

My entire body is covered in goosebumps. I don't know how you held back the tears. What a lovely, lovely moment. I hope there are more to come for you all.

Deb Shucka said...

What a wonderful gift for you both. Teagan is doing her job well, wouldn't you say. I love that the blessing of Evan's gratitude was so clear to you.

The Geezers said...

And I'm lucky to have a sister who writes so well....hairy legs or not.

luckyzmom said...

Beautiful!