Saturday, July 25, 2009

Yes

Some day soon I'm going to write about something other than how happy I am to be on my bike again. Today, I'm still a one-note symphony.

Last night some of my family got together for a dinner cruise--riding our bikes to a local restaurant. Evan didn't ride but met us for dinner. We had a fabulous time and stayed longer than we'd planned. It was quite dark when we finished, but I still wanted to ride home. My nephew, not wanting to be outdone by a mere girl—and an old one at that—agreed to go with me.

We rode a gravel trail through a park, along a river. No lights. Nothing lighted nearby. The sky was overcast and the thumbnail crescent moon wouldn't have helped much anyway. The gravel is light gray, so the path was basically visible enough to follow and that was it.

After we'd gone too far to go back, my nephew yelled from behind me, "This might not be the smartest thing we've ever done."

"My life's full of 'not the smartest thing.' " I yelled back. "Never regretted a single one of them. Keep pedaling."

We rode into a section completely canopied by trees. Dark like you can't believe--deepest, darkest, blackest dark. Twenty feet into it, we were surrounded by fireflies--thousands of winking, twinkling miracles. Terrified and enchanted in equal degrees, I couldn't decide whether to ride faster to get out of the dark or slower to soak up the magic.

In the fields beyond the canopied section, we were greeted by hundreds and thousands more fireflies. I've truly never seen so many so close.

When we got to the park, I hated to be finished. Riding that trail in the dark was foolish. Terrifying. Exhilarating. The most fun I've had in years.

Magic is everywhere, but you only find it when you say YES. Finally home in bed, my entire body buzzed with the sibilance of Molly Bloom: yes I will yes I am Yes.

9 comments:

Go Mama said...

Awesome Jerri. Soaking up the magic.
Now, about that pic of your new 'do....

:)

Nancy said...

What an incredible experience. I don't know that I would ever be that brave.

Deb Shucka said...

I love how you're shouting yes to life in a way you haven't for a very long time. Those fireflies were a gift and a message and sheer magic. So glad you had them.

You could be writing a book, or at least a great article, about the life-changing powers of a bike.

BONNIE K said...

I think it sounds like a lot of fun - reading about someone else doing it! I know when I hit the dark patch that I'd have fallen off my bike and been injured for months...

cheryl said...

Beautiful - the whole magic bike ride. And the last line.

Yes. Yes I will. I will. I will yes. Yes I am. I am yes. Yes.

The Geezers said...

I remember that about my summers in Kansas...fireflies thick in the backyard.

Great story. Wisdom can be remarkably close to foolishness sometimes.

fullsoulahead.com said...

Yay Jerri! I love it!

Amber said...

Sounds SOOO cool!

:)

riversgrace said...

I love this, Jerri. So nice to read your words after a long spell. So full of life you are. Thank you.