Sunday, July 05, 2009

Growing a Pair

On Friday, I got an email telling me I am being recognized as a top contractor (among more than 6000) for an organization for which I freelance. The email asked me for a bio and a photo to be used in the newsletter and provided the bio of the other person who has received this recognition in the company's three-year history.

Kind of cool, right? Not if you're me. I skipped past the "good for me" part, directly into the "I don't have enough education" and "there's not a single picture I can send." From there, I leaped to "who are the other people if I'm among the best." Like Groucho, I kind of wonder about any club that would have me as a member.

Katie called as I was fretting about the bio and pic. Picking up on my distress, she asked what was going on. When I explained, she said, "Oh, Mom. Grow a pair. You're smart enough to get the award. Surely you're smart enough to write a decent bio."

When I grow up, I'm going to be as pragmatic as my darling daughter.

8 comments:

Doubting Thomas said...

Well, having some experience of your editorial skills, I can think of a number of qualifications. Published author, former editorial director, etc. Etc.

Congrats, sis.

No one more qualified.

Deb Shucka said...

I love a woman who cuts to the chase. I hope when you grown up you get to truly know the bright, brave, unbelievably talented woman (you, in case you're wondering) that this award is going to. Love you.

BONNIE K said...

Congratulations! And I can totally relate on the picture part! I haven't had a decent picture taken of me in 20 some years.

Carrie Wilson Link said...

Katie's right.

Amber said...

Amen!

:)

Steph said...

CONGRATS JER! What an achievement. Katie is probably one of the funniest people I know. Grow a pair...LOL :) I knew I liked that girl for some reason. Glad to hear about your Dad also! <3

luckyzmom said...

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree! Really cute, the pair of you!

Alijah Fitt said...

You????!!! have an inferiority complex?? I fail to understand this. You are obviously an over achiever and accomplished, smart, funny, beautiful etc. Thank you Kate- good advice. Congratulations Jerri- you definitely deserve this honor.