Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Finding Our Way

A tiny crescent moon smiled at me last night, but there's something ugly in the air these days. Some of my dearest friends are struggling.

One, a woman who has maintained an upbeat attitude despite long-term serious illness, hit the wall yesterday. She's tired and sad and scared. All the light has gone out of her bright sides.

Another, a talented screenwriter with endless enthusiasm for working and reworking his scripts, can't find the way into any of his stories right now. He doesn't know what to do with himself, and I suspect he's afraid that whatever "it" is, it has abandoned him. (It hasn't, of course, but every writer knows that fear.)

Facing the dark side of the economy, a third struggles to carry the weight of every member of the band of creative (read half-crazy) folks he leads at work.

I believe in these people the way I believe in sunshine and sea breezes. I love each of them as family. There's essentially nothing any of us can do except be present for one another, but that's the deal with true friends. We show up. We hold vigil. We lead each other home.

4 comments:

kario said...

It is so hard to see good friends struggle like this. I know that you will find a way to be there for them until they find a way out of their respective funks. Remember to continue filling your own soul with love and light as you sit with them.

Love you.

Deb Shucka said...

Together with love. I believe in you the same way you believe in these friends.

Carrie Wilson Link said...

Great last line. And so true.

Doubting Thomas said...

There's a time and place for everything, including a time for struggles.

I'm quite sure your friends will come through things in the manner that is supposed to be.

I'm really, really sure of this.