Friday, January 23, 2009

My father is dying.

My beloved dad, who holds up the sky, who can fix anything with spit and baling wire, who loves me always and all ways, is dying. His COPD has turned severe and he's turning Home.

On Wednesday, his pulmonologist said he will never fully recover from the pneumonia that's held him in its grip since before Christmas. The road will only get rockier from here. No one knows how fast it's moving, but something wicked this way comes.

One of Dad's brothers died last year. His sister has Parkinson's. One sister-in-law is lost in dementia, a brother-in-law is close behind.

Mom spent all day yesterday and today cleaning out the basement. She says she can't change what's going to happen, but she can make it easier on us when it does.

That, my friends, is love in action. Dad always teases that the three of us kids did a darn good job of picking parents. That doesn't begin to describe the grace and gift of being their child.

13 comments:

Carrie Wilson Link said...

Oh, Jerri. Lots of love.

Anonymous said...

Wow. This is a beautiful little piece.

Lately I've found myself with a really strong intimation that death is nothing more than that moment when the pain of life signals that its time to move on. It's what we're supposed to do.

I"m quite sure your dad's spirit is in the process of moving on, that's all. This stage is ending, the next beginning.

Thinking of you, my friend.

kario said...

Oh, Jerri. Please know that this news touches my heart deeply because of my recent experiences with my own father. What I know is that you and your mother will find ways to make your father's last days special and he will go out knowing that he was adored and will not be forgotten.

Sending love and light to you all. Be gentle with yourself.

luckyzmom said...

My heart reaches out to you.

Go Mama said...

Oh Jerri. So let me add my love to the collective love that encircles and embraces you and your family...

hg said...

"who holds up the sky" - how beautiful.

My love to you. I miss you.

H

mamatulip said...

Wrapping my arms around you, love.

I'm here if you should need me.

MsGraysea said...

Oh Jerri, I so identify with where you are and you helped me immensely with your positive spin and beautiful writing about the place you and your family are in on this journey. How wonderful for all of them that you are there.
May peace and ease be with all of you each day.
Marcia

Amber said...

I am so, so sorry for this news.
I wish I had some magic for you right now... I just have prayers that all needs will be met.

:(

ox

Michelle O'Neil said...

You are blessed, and I'm sorry for your pain.

Kim said...

Oh Jerri, I am so sorry to read this news. I have read such wonderful things here about your father. Love is coming at him from so many places, from everyone who has ever had the delightful opportunity to learn about him on your blog.

Ask Me Anything said...

I love my father in much the same way... and you have captured his essential nature. You'll always have it. I am learning so much from you. Thank you.

riversgrace said...

Jerri,

Blessings for your family and for you. I'm just learning of this news now, sorry about that. Please let me know if I can help in any way.

Love, Prem