Thursday, July 03, 2008

Sheer Folly


Came across this image while doing some research tonight. This service station in Zillah, Washington, was built in 1922 as a reminder of the Teapot Dome Scandal. The station isn't operating anymore, and very few people remember Albert Fall (who was Secretary of the Interior under Warren G. Harding) or the scandal over leasing oil reserves that got him sent to prison. 

(Sigh)

This little building isn't everyone's pot of organic green, but you have to admit it has character. 

In case you're interested, you can find photos of approximately a zillion really big things here. 

I'm thinking of visiting some of these things. I mean, can you really say you've lived fully if you haven't seen the world's largest muskie (I have and it's pretty damn awesome) or the world's largest can of fruit cocktail?

Seeing the world's largest pineapple might change my life. No? How about the world's largest pyrogy?

Oh, all right. None of them would change my life. But I'd surely die happy if I'd  seen the world's largest sharptail grouse before I drew my last breath.

* photo from roadsideattractions.com

1 comment:

Carrie Wilson Link said...

" isn't everyone's pot of organic green tea" hilarious!